Brent Woods, MA, LPC
5 Simple Ways to Change Your Perspective and Turn a Really Bad Day Around
Bad days happen. We all have them—days when nothing seems to go quite right. But if your bad day is getting you down and making it difficult to stay positive, don’t despair. There are ways to turn it around and shift your perspective to become more positive.
Here are six tips for turning a really bad day around:
1. Take a moment to appreciate the small things. When you’re having a bad day, take a few minutes to look around and appreciate the small things. Focus on something that you are thankful for and really take it in. It can be as simple as the warmth of the sun on your face - a single moment of appreciation can help shift the mood.
2. Reach out to a friend or family member. Connecting with someone who genuinely cares about you and your wellbeing can be a fantastic way to help get you out of a funk. Whether it’s through a phone call, text, or video chat - allowing yourself to be seen and heard can lead to a much more positive day.
3. Exercise. Exercise is a great way to get out of your head and into your body. The release of endorphins that are generated from exercise can improve mood and help you to break free from negative thoughts.
4. Give yourself a break and take some time for self-care. This could range from taking a relaxing warm bath, watching your favorite movie, or reading a good book. Allowing yourself to take some time, even a 20-minute break to do something enjoyable, can help to improve your mood and better manage negative emotions.
5. Write your thoughts down. Journaling can be an effective way to manage negative thoughts and emotions. Exploring why you’re feeling this way and writing your thoughts down can be a powerful way to help you understand, accept, and eventually take action.
6. Have faith. Believe that this bad day is a part of your journey and is leading you towards something better. Have faith that you will come out of this day better and stronger than before. Turning a really bad day around can be tough but with a little effort and focus, it can be done. By taking a moment to appreciate the small things, reaching out to a friend, exercising, engaging in some self-care, journaling, and having faith that this day’s events are leading you to something better, you can work to shift your perspective and use the experience to become more positive.